- 1 pound fake sausage
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil (or olive oil)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small green cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
optional toppings: toasted sesame seeds, thinly-sliced green onions, wonton strips, sriracha
- Heat one tablespoon of sesame oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook over for 5-6 minutes, stirring and breaking it up occasionally, until it is lightly browned. Transfer the sausage to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining sesame oil and onion, and stir to combine. Saute for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the carrots and garlic, and saute for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage, stock, water, ginger, and cooked sausage. Stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high and cook until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes, or until the carrots and cabbage are nice and tender. Stir in the toasted sesame oil until combined.
- Serve immediately, garnished with your desired toppings.