- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large thick-bottomed skillet over medium-low heat, saute the chopped onions in the olive oil along with a couple pinches of salt. Stir occasionally with a wood or metal spatula and cook until the onions are deeply golden, brown, and caramelized - roughly 40 or 50 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- In the meantime, whisk together the sour cream, yogurt, onion powder, and salt. Add onion powder to taste. Add a bit at a time until it tastes really good. Set aside until the caramelized onions have cooled to room temperature.
- Stir in 2/3 of the caramelized onions, scoop into a serving bowl, and top with the remaining onions. It is best served at room temperature.